One of our favorite things about Thanksgiving is time with family and the delicious food. But it’s important to make sure your pet isn’t eating food that could potentially be dangerous. Check out these Thanksgiving foods that could potentially be harmful to your cat or dog!
1. Turkey Skin, Ham, and Cooked Bones.
Foods that are high in fat like turkey skin and ham can be very dangerous for your pet to consume. In addition, turkey and ham bones can splinter in a dog’s digestive tract and can result in a pricey trip to the vet
2. Grapes and Raisins
Although the ingredient and mechanism is still unknown, a dog that consumes grapes or raisins could have severe kidney damage or failure.
3. Onions and Garlic
Onions and garlic contain sulfides, which are toxic to dogs. Onions also contain the ingredient called thiosulphate which is toxic to both dogs and cats. Keep in mind that cooking these ingredients does not reduce their toxicity.
4. Walnuts and Macadamia Nuts
While many nuts can cause gastric intestinal upset or obstruction in a dog, others are potentially more serious. Specifically, walnuts and macadamia nuts are extremely dangerous for dogs and could cause vomiting, fever, and more serious complications. Other nuts that shouldn’t be consumed by dogs are almonds, pecans, pistachios and hickory nuts.
5. Chocolate and Baked Sweets
We all know that chocolate is a BIG no-no for dogs, but often many of the ingredients in our favorite Thanksgiving baked treats are harmful to our pets too. Nutmeg which is sometimes used to spice sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie is potentially dangerous. Though sweet potatoes and pumpkin itself are not bad, they cannot contain any nutmeg (or other toxic ingredients) if you decide to sneak your dog a Thanksgiving treat. Dough and batter are also potentially troubling, as they contain raw eggs. Other baked sweets likely contain sugar and fat. Though we find these things delicious, we should keep our pets away from them.
Any and every type of alcohol is toxic for your pet. Though your dog may like the taste of beer, their kidneys were not meant to filter or process the alcohol content of beer, wine or any alcoholic beverage. Even small amounts of liquor can be lethal to a dog or cat.
Share your photos and videos with us! Did you score a video of Sparky catching a fly ball while jumping into the pool? Did you snap a cute photo of Fluffy in a sleeping slumber? Send your best photos and videos of your pets to email@example.com for a chance to be featured.